Each year, many older adults and younger adults with disabilities are victims of mistreatment by family members or by persons who are responsible for their care.
Examples of Adult Abuse:
* The person who provides care to you purposely causes you pain or injury.
* The person who is responsible for your care does not assist you in keeping needed medical appointments.
* Food, water, medication, assistance with your personal needs, or other essential goods or services are withheld from you.
* You are restrained for the convience of facility staff or your caregiver or as a means of punishment.
* Someone yells at you or purposely does something to hurt your feelings.
* A person uses threats to get you to do something for him/her.
* The person responsible for managing your finiacial affairs uses your money for his/her own purposes without your consent.
* Someone touches private parts of your body without your consent.
YOU HAVE RIGHTS
1. You have the right to be safe
2. You have the right to be treated with respect.
3 You have the right to be free from abuse, neglect, or expoitation.
Help is Available
If you feel that you are being mistreated or know someone that is, contact you local department of social services and ask for an adult protective services social worker or you may call the 24 hour toll free line at:
Will anyone know who reported?
The name of the person that makes a report will be held confidential by the local department of social services. The name of the person who made the report cannot be revealed unless the person gives permission or the court orders that the name be revealed. You do not have to give your name when you report.
ABUSE AND NEGLECT OF AN INCAPACITATED PERSON IS A CRIME!!!